Canva pro version includes a background remover tool that helps you remove backgrounds in 15 to 20 seconds from images and videos and isolates the object on a transparent layer.
However, somtimes Canva background remover may stop working due to various reasons.
This article will explore some of the common causes and provide you with some tips on how to resolve them.
Whether you are an avid professional or casual Canva user, these easy fixes will assist you in resolving your issue.
Table of Contents Show
- Why is My Canva Background Remover Not Working?
- Canva Background Remover Not Working [9 Ways to Fix]
- The Bottom Line
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why is My Canva Background Remover Not Working?
Here are some reasons why Canva’s background remover is not working.
- Outdated App
- Browser cache
- Unused Chrome Extension
- Unstable internet connection
- Unsupported file type
- VPN issue
Canva Background Remover Not Working [9 Ways to Fix]
You can try a few easy fixes if the Canva background is not working. Let us go through every solution in detail.
1. Clear Cache and Browser Cookies
Clearing cache and browsing cookies may help resolve the Canva background remover not working.
Follow these steps to clear the cache memory of your Google Chrome browser.
- Open Google Chrome and click three horizontal dots(⋮) in the right-hand corner.
- Click the Settings option.
- Then, select Privacy and Security > Clear Browsing Data.
- Select the All Time in the Time range option and check the option Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files.
- Finally, click on Clear data.
Refresh the Canva page and now check if the issue is resolved.
Additionally, try accessing Canva in the Incognito tab on your browser.
2. Disable VPN
You can disable the VPN and check if the problem is resolved.
To disable a VPN on your device, you need to follow these steps:
- Press Win+R, type Control Panel on the search bar and click the Ok button.
- Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
- Select Change adaptor settings on the left side under the network sharing center option.
- A new window will open, showing your device’s network connections. Right-click on the VPN you want to disable.
- Select Disable option from the menu.
If you are using a third-party VPN tool, you need to open the software and look for disable option.
You can also try uninstalling the VPN software from your PC.
3. Disable the Unused Extensions
Extensions can slow down your browser performance and might cause security issues. You need to remove/disable them if you are not using them.
Follow these steps to disable the unused extensions.
- Open Chrome on your PC.
- Select the extension icon on the top panel.
- Click Manage extensions at the bottom of the pop-up window.
- Select the extension you want to remove and select Remove.
4. Check the Internet Connection
If your internet connection is unstable, your Canva will load slowly, making it difficult to remove the background.
Make sure you have a stable internet connection while designing or removing the background on Canva.
Try these fixes to resolve your unstable internet connection;
- To reconnect to the internet, turn off your wifi for 10–20 seconds and then turn it back on.
- You can also turn on and off airplane mode to check if your phone is reconnected to the internet.
- Also, try rebooting your wifi for a stable connection.
5. Purchase a Canva Pro Version
Background removing feature is available in Canva pro, Canva for Teams and Canva for Education.
Therefore, you won’t be able to use this feature on the free Canva version.
Follow these steps to upgrade to Canva Pro.
- Open Canva on your device.
- Then, create a design, and go to the Edit image section on the top panel.
- Click on Background Remover, and you will see another pop-up section.
- Click Try it free for 30 days in the next window.
- Choose the subscription time and the payment method as per you want.
You can easily use background remover on Canva pro version.
6. Re-login Your Account
Re-login will refresh your account data and enable you to design your project efficiently.
If you cannot remove the watermark in Canva, try re-login your account.
Follow the steps below;
- Click on the Profile picture icon() in the right-hand side corner.
- Click the Sign-Out option.
- Sign in again after 5/10 seconds with your account (google, Facebook or email).
7. Reformat the Images
An unsupported image file is the main reason Canva background remover is not working.
- First, make sure you are using .PNG format images for removing the background on Canva.
- The background remover tool only works for images less than 5 Mbps.
- The images may be of poor quality or contain too many elements, making it difficult for background removal tools to accurately detect the images’ edges.
- The image may have a complex or uneven background that is difficult to remove using the background tool.
- The background removal tool will only work if the entire image is selected.
You can use some free online tools to convert JPG to PNG format. Adobe converter is one most popular online tools for converting JPG to PNG format.
You can find some online converters for converting other formate images to .png format.
|CloudConvert||It converts your image files online and support PNG, JPG, GIF, WEBP and HEIC.|
|Online Convert||It can convert images from over 120 input formats to PNG (Portable Network Graphics).|
|JPG to PNG||It can convert your portable network graphic file back into a JPG online.|
|PNG Converter||It uploads and convert images in the highest quality in seconds.|
8. Check Whether Server Is Down
Sometimes Canva servers can go down for a few seconds/minutes, causing a Canva outage.
You can check Canva’s status at Downdetector. Alternatively, search on Google for “Is Canva Down? “.
In the meantime, you must wait until any official announcements from the Canva Support team.
Or users will have to find alternative ways to create their designs.
That is all you can do to fix the background remover not working on Canva.
If none of the above fixes work and the background remover is still not working on Canva, you can contact the Canva Support team directly.
9. Use Third-Party Background Removing Tool
If your Canva background remover is not working, you can use some third-party applications/software.
Here is an example of removing background using the Remove.bg online tool.
- First, go to remove.bg and Upload an image.
- Download the image after removing the background.
- You can see the difference between the image before and after removing the background.
The Bottom Line
Hopefully, these fixes will resolve the background removal issues in Canva. Please let us know which of the fixes work for you.
Creativity does not wait for perfect timing. Start making your content creative with a background removal tool on Canva.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Use the Background Remover Tool in Canva on Videos?
The background removal tool in Canva is used for both images and videos.
Removing the background in videos is similar to removing the background in images.
Why is Canva Background Remover Not Appearing on my Device?
Check the app updates if the Canva background remover does not appear on your device.
In an older version of Canva, the background remover tool may not work.
Furthermore, if your device is incompatible with the latest version of Canva, it may not work.