ChatGPT is cool and creepy as well. It leads to new technology, and the power it unlocks can be used for good and evildoing.
If you use ChatGPT, you may decide to delete your account to protect your privacy or simply delete your data from time to time.
Continue reading the article to learn how to delete or deactivate your ChatGPT account permanently in detail.
Table of Contents Show
How to Delete Chat GPT Account?
ChatGPT account deletion can be overwhelming, but you can do it with a few steps.
You can either permanently delete your ChatGPT account or chat data as you wish.
Deleting a ChatGPT account is permanent, whereas deactivating it does not delete the data permanently and allows you to reactivate your account in the future.
You can follow two options to delete your ChatGPT account.
1. Through ChatGPT Help Chat
You can request account deletion at any time. Follow these steps to delete your ChatGPT account via Help chat.
- First, go to the ChatGPT help center.
- Select the Chat icon Button from the right-hand side bottom corner.
- Then, click Message > Send us a message.
- Write Delete my account in the chat section. You will get a reply in your email or the same box after some time.
- They will reply twice or three times, and you must confirm each time.
Alternatively, you can also follow the steps below;
- Select Help > Send us a message.
- Click on the Account Deletion option, or if you want to deactivate your account, click on Deactivate my account.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions.
After completing the account deletion process, you will get a confirmation from the OpenAI team.
But remember, completing your request can take 1-2 weeks.
2. Through ChatGPT Email Support
Follow the steps outlined below to delete the ChatGPT account via email support.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org from the email address you use to access your account.
- You need to include Account Deletion Request in the subject, and Please delete my account in the body of the email.
- To deactivate the account, you need to include the Account Deactivation request in the subject, and Please deactivate my account in the email body.
It is impossible to cancel the request once it has been sent to the help center.
The Bottom Line
Due to the nature of the machine learning model, it may take some time to obliterate the account, but it can be deleted.
You can protect your privacy by deleting your ChatGPT account using the above methods.
In addition, I recommend that you contact ChatGPT email support to have your account deleted.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why did ChatGPT Deactivate my Account?
If your account was deactivated, you might have violated ChatGPT’s terms and conditions.
To reactivate your account, you need to reach out to email@example.com to request the reactivation.
Can I Delete Specific Prompts on ChatGPT?
In your chat history, you cannot delete specific chat prompts.
It is not a good idea to share sensitive information in ChatGPT conversations.
How to Clear ChatGPT Question History?
You can quickly clear the ChatGPT question history.
- First, go to the left-hand side of the page when you are on the chat.
- You will see the questions you have just asked.
- All you need to do is, click on the bin icon and then click the tick mark icon.
Alternatively, you can directly click on Clear Conversation to delete the ChatGPT question history in a bundle.