The r/Place is Reddit’s collaborative art project where users place one colored pixel every five minutes on a communal canvas.
Reddit originally launched it as a social experiment on April Fools’ Day in 2017 and reprised it on April Fools’ Day in 2021.
This article will discuss what r/place is, how it works, and how to do it on Reddit.
Table of Contents Show
What Is r/place?
The r/Place is a subreddit and collaborative art project launched by Reddit on April Fools’ Day in 2017.
It provided users with a large, blank canvas where they could place a single-colored pixel every five minutes.
The canvas consisted of a grid of 1000 x 1000 pixels, and each user’s contribution had to fit this limitation.
As a result, r/place became a massive, ever-changing canvas as global users collaborated on intricate pixelated art, logos, flags, and more.
The project quickly gained popularity, and within a short period, more than a million Reddit users participated, making it a truly collaborative and global effort.
How To Do r/place On Reddit?
To participate in R/Place on mobile or PC, follow these steps:
- Download and install the Reddit app on your iPhone or Android device or navigate to the Reddit website on your PC.
- Log into Reddit with your valid account credentials.
- Access r/place by clicking on the ‘P‘ logo on the Reddit homepage or visiting the r/place subreddit.
- Explore the mosaic and choose where to place your tile.
- Zoom in to find a specific coordinate, and a tile-sized cursor will show the last user who placed a tile there.
- Tap “Place Your Tile” and select your preferred color.
- Confirm your placement by tapping the tick mark and adding your tile to r/place.
- Keep in mind that you can only place one tile every five minutes. Be sure of your spot before confirming it. Otherwise, you’ll need to wait for the timer to reset before making another change.
How Does r/place On Reddit Work?
r/Place is a unique subreddit on Reddit that provides a large canvas with tiny empty pixels arranged in a 1000 x 1000 tile grid.
Any logged-in user can participate by placing a tile or pixel on the canvas.
Participants can use pixels or tiles of any color, but they can only place one every five minutes, adding a tactical element to the process.
The subreddit is a massive collaborative art project, allowing users worldwide to contribute and create pixelated images, logos, flags, and other intricate designs.
R/Place’s real-time aspect of r/Place adds an exciting element to the experiment, creating a dynamic and ever-changing canvas.
Furthermore, users must strategize and coordinate their efforts to preserve spaces and maintain the integrity of their creations.
As a result, it leads to an almost real-time strategy game-like experience.
During the original 2017 experiment, the canvas was available for 72 hours, attracting over one million users who actively edited the canvas.
It resulted in approximately 16 million tiles being placed.
The Bottom Line
r/Place was a fascinating and groundbreaking social experiment on Reddit.
It brought together millions of users worldwide to collaboratively create a massive and ever-changing piece of art.
Through this experiment, users demonstrated the power of collective action and the ability to work together to build something remarkable.