Many users are facing the IRS IRIS portal not working issue in their devices.
This is not a new issue as the users know the IRIS portal as being extremely glitchy in the past.
However, some users have found some quick fixes to temporarily bypass the issue while using the website.
Continue reading this article to learn why the IRIS portal is not working in 2024.
Table of Contents Show
What Is The IRS IRIS Portal?
The IRS IRIS portal stands for Information Returns Intake System, which is an online platform.
Specifically, they allow businesses and other entities to electronically file Forms 1099 with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Generally, these forms report various types of income, such as interest, dividends, and non-employee compensation.
Anyone who possesses an Employer Identification Number (EIN) that needs to file Forms 1099 can use the IRIS portal.
Currently, IRIS can only accept Form 1099 series which is responsible for reporting different types of income.
Users benefit highly from filing electronically through IRIS is faster, easier, and more accurate than filing paper forms.
Hence, the IRIS portal has become an integral feature while using the IRS website as everyone uses online platforms.
How To Fill E-File Forms 1099 With IRIS?
Currently, there are two main ways to e-file Forms 1099 with the IRIS portal:
1. Manually Entering The Information
This method is suitable for a small number of forms or if you don’t have the data in a file format. Here’s how to do it:
- Users must Log in to the IRIS portal from the https://www.irs.gov/ website.
- Then, users must navigate and select the “File Forms 1099” section on the website.
- Select the specific Form 1099 you need to file (for example: 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC).
- Now, users must carefully enter the recipient’s name, address, Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), and other required details.
- Similarly, users must enter income information such as income amounts in the relevant fields on the form.
- Users can finally submit the form after thoroughly reviewing all the information they entered before submitting the form.
2. Uploading A File
If you have a large number of forms or data, uploading is a more efficient option. Here’s the process:
- Users must ensure that the file meets the IRS specifications for format and content according to the IRS website template.
- In the IRIS portal, select the option to upload a file for 1099 submissions and upload it.
- Now, the portal will usually display a preview of your data to review it for any errors or inconsistencies.
- After double-checking the information, users can proceed to submit the file by pressing ‘submit‘.
IRS IRIS Portal Not Working Possible Fixes
With the start of 2024, many users are reporting that the IRIS portal is not working for them.
Specifically, users have faced two types of errors while active on the official portal. They are:
- Users are stuck on the loading screen which displays a white screen for an infinite period.
- The website also crashes after a longer duration of wait-time for users, logging them out.
Because of these reasons, users can not submit the e-file 1099 forms for their businesses.
However, some users have discovered some alternate solutions to bypass these errors on the website.
Users have a high chance of getting this service if they use other browsers besides Google Chrome.
Additionally, setting up a private tab or incognito mode allows the portal to function much more effectively.