The Soft-Step trial is a kinda frustrating stealth challenge, as even one wrong step can send you back to where you just started.
However, many players have reported that they are facing bug issues in this challenge.
Continue reading to learn more about the soft step trial, its causes and its solutions in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Table of Contents Show
What Is A Soft Step Trial In BG3?
The Soft-Step Trial is a sneaky maze challenge where you have to creep and avoid being caught while grabbing an important gem.
It is the first trial in the Gauntlet of Shar, a series of trials designed to test adventurers’ skills.
To complete the Soft-Step Trial, follow these instructions:
- Choose a stealthy character like Astarion.
- You must navigate a maze using invisibility or stay hidden while moving.
- Carefully dodge the shadow entities that patrol the corridor.
- There are several traps and blocked paths, so be careful where you step.
- Interact with the Shar offering bowl and give your blood to open the doors into the Labyrinth.
- Finally, grab the Umbral Gem to finish the trial.
What Causes Soft Step Trial Bugged In BG3?
There are several possible causes for the Soft Step Trial causing a bug in BG3:
- Failing to separate the chosen character from the party before using the Sacrificial Bowl.
- Moreover, missing the initial alter interaction can prevent the trial from starting correctly.
- Characters not following the intended path, getting stuck, or being detected by ghosts in the Gaulent of Shar.
- Inconsistent loading or saving game states during the trial can also introduce bugs.
- Not interacting with critical elements in the correct order, such as the Umbral Gem, can result in bugs.
- However, it is also possible that the game is not installed correctly due to a corrupt or missing file.
- Due to various factors, include a recent patch that introduced a new bug or a conflict with a mod.
- If you are experiencing hardware problems, such as low memory or a graphics card problem, this could cause the bug.
- Corrupted files or the use of any mods can also have a high chance of conflicting with the Soft Step Trial.
How To Solve Soft Step Trial Bugged In BG3?
Here are some possible solutions to the soft step trial having bug issues in BG3:
- Ensure you’ve correctly separated the chosen character from the party before using the Sacrificial Bowl.
- Start the trial by interacting with the altar correctly, offering blood.
- Try reinstalling the game; this will replace any corrupted or missing files.
- Simply try reloading a previous save and attempt the trial again, which is one of the simplest solutions.
- If needed, follow the stealth path and avoid obstacles precisely to complete the trial without any issues.
- In case you are using any mods, disable them and try the trial again since some mods can conflict with the game.
- If the bug persists, consider reaching out to the game’s support team or checking online forums for potential bug fixes.
- Make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for the game.
Furthermore, verifying game files will check the game files for any corruption or missing files. Follow the steps below to do so.
- Right-click on Baldur’s Gate 3 in your Steam library
- Select Properties then, Local Files
- Verify the integrity of game files
The Bottom Line
The soft step trial is a sneaky maze challenge with some bug issues.
Most of the players who are having bugs have the same reason: not noticing the blood bowl.
However, if you still have problems, search the Larian Studios forums or contact them for help.