If you are trying to sign up for ChatGPT, there is a section where you must enter your phone number.
You may wonder, “Why does ChatGPT need my phone number?”.
There are several reasons why ChatGPT requires a phone number, which we will discuss in this article.
Continue reading to learn why ChatGPT may require your phone number and whether you can log in without using ChatGPT.
Table of Contents Show
How to Sign-up ChatGPT Account?
Before using ChatGPT, you must sign up for an OpenAI account. Follow these steps to create a ChatGPT account.
- First, go to OpenAI official website and click the SignUp button.
- Now, add your Email address and click on the Continue button. Alternatively, you can choose another signing option, such as Google or Microsoft account.
- Then create your password, click the Continue button, and move to the next option.
- You must verify your email address; click on the Open Gmail button.
- You will be redirected to your Gmail; open the verification email and click on Verify email address.
- Add your personal information(User name) and click the Continue button.
- Now it’s time to verify your mobile number. Select the country code where you live or where ChatGPT is available.
- Then, enter your mobile number and hit the Send code via SMS button. Alternatively, you can use your WhatsApp instead.
- Verify your phone number by entering the OTP.
- After the above processes, your ChatGPT is ready to use.
Can You Sign-Up ChatGPT Without a Phone Number?
There is no way to sign up ChatGPT account without verifying your phone number.
You must obligatorily provide your email address and phone number to use the OpenAI services like ChatGPT.
You can not make an account without these credentials.
Although, you can easily bypass the geo-restriction using VPN. However, you still need your phone number to create the OpenAI account.
Continue reading to learn which nations and regions can use OpenAI.
Alternatively, if you reside in a country where ChatGPT is forbidden, you can use a Dingtone number to register ChatGPT.
According to Dingtone, you can register for ChatGPT with the Dingtone number in a few steps.
It is recommended to use Dingtone phone numbers from France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Sweden, and other European countries when signing up for ChatGPT.
Why Does ChatGPT Ask For a Phone Number?
You need to enter your phone number to sign-up OpenAI account.
ChatGPT needs your Phone number for the verification process to ensure the security of its platform.
Furthermore, OpenAI respects your privacy and protects your information by not using your phone number for any other purpose.
However, if you are baffled about whether the OpenAI platform is safe, it is still in the research phase and gathering user feedback.
Additionally, OpenAI may require your contact information to integrate with other services such as social media platforms and data collection processes.
OpenAI Uses a Private Number; Are There Any Risks?
Using your personal phone number while registering the Open AI account is worthwhile for security and other purposes.
Despite that, there might be risks in using a private phone number for OpenAI.
For instance, an intruder can misappropriate your OpenAI account if your personal phone number is hacked.
You cannot recover your OpenAI account if your phone number is disabled or lost.
Furthermore, ChatGPT may find it difficult to determine who owns the account when using a private number.
Registration with OpenAI requires your phone number, which may be inconvenient for those unable to access ChatGPT due to geo-restrictions.
If you live in an area where OpenAI services are available but experience difficulty signing up with a phone number, please get in touch with OpenAI support.